Thursday, October 27, 2016

Learning about culture using vocabulary

SPREADING THE WORD

Using Words to Learn About Culture

Since ELL learners are coming from someplace else to study the target language, it makes sense to study something of other cultures, and in doing so, learn new vocabulary in the process.


Very often in different cultures you will come across words that are unfamiliar.  For instance in Trinidad, we eat a type of sandwich/snack called "doubles" 
Some of the familiar things that we have one name for here in the U.S. other cultures or countries have different names for them, and it's only by discussing culture that we become familiar with them ourselves.  My language learning objective of course would be to extend my students vocabulary based on cultural experiences. 

 

After a week of discussing different things about Trinidad, culture, nature, food, climate and Carnival, I would show a short video about Trinidad. To test the students new new vocabulary, I would give a short quiz after having them watch the short video.


1 comment:

  1. Super fun video about the Trinidad culture! I think I would love to try one of those sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete